Safest Bath Chairs for Disabled Adults & Handicapped
Last Updated on
If you have decreased and painful mobility challenges, and as a result, find it very difficult stepping into the tub for a proper bath, consider it not a problem anymore.
We have compiled a list of the best bath chair for disabled adults. These bath chairs offer a much comfortable and safer way to enter and exit the tub or shower. You can sit the whole time, and never worry about falling –100% guarantee!
I used to be a nurse in the ward, and each year about 200,000 thousand old patients are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
Most of the casualties suffer a hip fracture and head injury. Falls are dangerous and costly, trust me, you don’t want to be a victim.
For this reason, we have done all the research and testing. We only listed the best bath chairs on the market known for high-quality material and efficiency –both offline/online.
These products are the perfect bathroom aid if you have limited mobility challenges. They all combine safety, functionality, and styles for reliable in-home security and comfort bath.
- Read Also: Best Bath Mat and Rugs
Best Bath Chair for Disabled Adults
|Preview||Bath Chair||Weight||Prime||Check Price|
|MedMobile® BATHTUB TRANSFER BENCH / BATH CHAIR WITH BACK, WIDE SEAT||11.8 pounds||Prime||Check Price|
|Top||Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat. Premium PADDED Bath and Shower Chair||20 pounds||Prime||Check Price|
|Moen DN7105 Home Care 33-Inch W x 18-Inch D Adjustable Height Non Slip Bath Safety Transfer Bench||15.8 pounds||Prime||Check Price|
|Dr Kay's Adjustable Height Bath and Shower Chair Top Rated Shower Bench||5.6 pounds||Prime||Check Price|
|Tub Transfer Bench and Sliding Shower Chair Made of Heavy Duty Non Slip Aluminum Body and Plastic Seat||13.9 pounds||Prime||Check Price|
|HydroGlyde Premium Heavy Duty Sliding Bathtub Transfer Bench and Shower Chair with Cut-Out SEAT||12.6 pounds||X||Check Price|
|EagleHealth Swivel Sliding Bath Bench (Reg) 77662||14.2 pounds||X||Check Price|
|Moen DN7100 Home Care Premium Adjustable Bath Safety Shower Chair with Back and Arm Rests, Glacier||11.21 pounds||Prime||Check Price|
|OasisSpace Shower Stool, Heavy Duty Adjustable Bath Chair with Free Grab Bar||5.4 pounds||Prime||Check Price|
What Is A Bath Chair For Disabled Adults?
A Bath chair is a safe, comfortable and stable chair for disabled people to sit while getting into a tub for a bath.
It is well-constructed and easy to clean and to assemble. A bath chair has adjustable legs; you can adjust the bench to your desired height. Also, it is equipped with suction cups to the legs, for an accurate balance.
Why Buy A Bath Chair For Seniors And Handicapped?
Who Should Use a Bathing Chair for Disabled?
A bath chair is essential to those with limited mobility and the handicap in general. Potential users are anyone with an ankle, knee, and leg injury.
Also, people who are recovering from a spinal or back injury that uses crutches can as well use a bath chair.
Types of Bathing Chair
We have various types of bath chair, but let’s take a look at the most commonly used ones below:
- Shower Chair with arms: This type of bath chair offers additional support and stability, with the help of its pivoting arms
- Bariatric Shower Chair: A bath chair under this category has a round design with no edges. The rounded design contributes to the comfort and safety of the user
- Rolling Bath chair: It’s the best choice as it remains the most flexible type of bath chair. Ideal for flexible moving from place to place
- Corner shower stool: This kind of shower chair for the injured are often convenient in size, thus best for cozy bathroom
- The Folding shower chair: Best choice for only temporary use, after recovery you can easily discharge the shower chair without using any tool
- Reclining Shower Chair: These are combo bath chairs with padded leg extension, lumbar/footrest support, a commode seat, and whatnot. The best choice, without any assistance
Safest Shower Chairs For Disabled Adults Reviews
- Read Also: Best Steam Mop Reviews
1. Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat
- - PROFESSIONAL GRADE sliding transfer bench, bath and shower chair. Effortless sliding and pivoting for safe, easy transfers in and out of the tub. Platinum Health products are used in thousands of hospitals, nursing homes and in private homes by customers who value quality, safety, convenience and comfort over price. Note: OPTIONAL LEG EXTENSION KITS AND HORIZONTAL TRAVEL EXTENSION KITS ALSO AVAILABLE.
- -PADDED SEAT, BACK AND ARMRESTS. No more cold, slippery, hard plastic parts like old-style bath chairs; the Carousel provides warm to the touch, comfortable, slip resistant padding on all main components. The medical-grade, closed-cell molded polyurethane padding will not absorb any water and is easy to clean and disinfect. Quick TOOLS-LESS assembly in less than 5 minutes.
- -SWIVEL-SEAT SPACE SAVING DESIGN. Not only is the swivel seat safer, easier to use and more comfortable than a standard fixed seat, this design means that the chair protrudes into the room much less than a traditional transfer bench. More convenient for the user, and more convenient for others that don’t require use of the chair since the free space in the bathroom is much greater.
- -ROBUST, PIVOTING ARM RESTS. The padded arm rests can be raised and lowered and locked into place. Unlike standard chairs with no armrests, the robust armrests on the Carousel can be used as leverage points to help the user into and out of the chair. They also provide important additional physical and psychological support against slips and falls and fear of slips and falls.
- -HI CONTRAST COLOR FOR SAFETY. Our unique HI-VIEW BLUE color makes the key parts of the chair much easier to see by vision impaired and/or dementia afflicted users. Rather than blending in with the background like old-style white benches, the blue contrast color helps users distinguish the chair from its surroundings and significantly reduces slips, trips and falls- the leading cause of death by injury in people over 65.
This bath chair is a premium padded bath with pivoting arms that can be raised, lowered, and locked. The full aim reset serves as a leverage point get you into and out of the chair.
The Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench has an effortless sliding feature that safely glides you in and out of the tub/shower.
The secret is, thousands of nursing homes, and hospitals around the world are currently using this platinum health product. Although, this chair might be expensive, however, if you value quality, convenience, and safety over price this bath chair is absolutely for you.
Moreover, with a padded seat, back, and armrests, you can relax comfortably. The chair provides a warm touch, safe, and slip-resistant padding on the bench, back, and armrests. Thus, you never have to worry about sliding or falling anymore.
Besides, the product features a closed-cell molded polyurethane padding. It means your seat never absorbs any water. You can as well assemble the chair in less than 6 minutes.
2. Medmobile Bathtub Transfer Bench
- 24" X 15" SEAT OFFERS EASY TRANSFER FROM WHEELCHAIR TO BATH SEAT.
- 5 LEVELS OF SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT, EACH INCREMENT IS 1".
- HIGHLY FLEXIBLE, SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTS FROM 16 1/2" TO 20 1/2".
- SEAT BACK CAN BE ASSEMBLED FOR LEFT OR RIGHT HAND APPLICATIONS. INSTALLATION OF BACKREST IS OPTIONAL.
- SURE-GRIP LEGS PROVIDE ADDED SAFETY AND STABILITY. THE OVERALL DIMENSION IS APPROXIMATELY 29”(L) X 16”(D) X 25”(H, WITHOUT BACKREST).
The second bathing chair for disabled adults on the list is medmobile transfer bench. It’s a great bath chair with adjustable seat height, lightweight, durable and sure-griped legs. The seat is wide and comfortable.
In detail, this combo bath chair is highly flexible, and can adjust the seat height from 16 1/2″ To 20 1/2″. Besides, it features five levels of seat height adjustment, and each increment is 1″.
Furthermore, the sure-grip legs offer additional stability and safety. The overall dimension is about 29”(L) X 16”(D) X 25” give or take.
Another accurate measure medmobile transfer bench has is (24″ X 15″) Seat that is perfect for easy transfer from wheelchair to the bath seat.
Also, you can assemble the seat to face either left or right. That said, MedMobile bench is another top-rated portable shower chair that is less expensive.
- Read Also: How to Get Eliminate Mold in Bathroom
3. Moen DN7105 Home Care Bath Safety Transfer Bench
- Safety First: Bathroom Accessories to Lend a Helping Hand When You Need It
- 16.5″ to 21″ Adjustable Height Fits a Variety of Tub and Shower Styles
- Seat Measures 33″ Wide x 18″ Deep
- Supports up to 400 pounds
- Non Slip Seat Surface with Built in Drainage System
The Moen bath chair takes your bathing experience to a whole new level. Moen Moen DN7105 Home Care offers you a stable and comfortable transfer in and out of your tub or shower.
The chair measures 33 by 18 inches and can support up to 400 pounds weight. One of the coolest features this product has is an adjustable height between 16.5 and 21 inches. It fits a wide variety of tub sizes.
Also, it has a non-slip surface, with white glacier finish all over that adds beauty to the bathroom.
Additionally, the basket organizer servers as a perfect place to store bathing essentials and toiletries. The basket organizer is so reachable, so you have everything you need while taking a proper shower.
The chair is highly flexible and has a right and left-facing feature. It only takes 5 minutes to assemble. Besides, you are covered with a limited lifetime warranty against, drips, leaks and finish defects –enjoy!
4. Dr. Kay’s Adjustable Height Bath and Shower Chair
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND EXCEPTIONALLY STABLE: Don't sacrifice your comfort for safety when you can easily have them both with Dr. Kay's Adjustable Height Shower Seat. Weighs only 4 lbs but can hold 250 lbs.
- OUR MAXIMUM HEIGHT IS A FULL 2-INCHES HIGHER: Some of our closest competitors make a similar product, but they skimp on the height - which could leave you struggling. Adjusts from 12.5" to 18.5".
- FITS EVEN IN SMALL TUBS AND SHOWERS: The ample anti-slip platform and wide base give this stool maximum stability while the non-slip rubber feet ensure the bench won't slip out from under you.
- YOU DON'T NEED ANY TOOLS TO ASSEMBLE: The seat is molded from heavy duty anodized aluminum that is resistant to corrosion and rust. You'll be able to count on this bench for many years to come.
- EASILY LIFTS WITH BUILT-IN SIDE HANDLES: We want this seat to help make your life easier, so we made it unbelievably lightweight, stable and strong. Tall or short, you'll be able to adjust it to the height that best suits you.
The product is simple, yet efficient. It’s lightweight and uniquely stable. The weight is only 4 Ibs but can support 250 Ibs. There is no point sacrificing your comfort for safety when Dr. Kay’s adjustable bath chair can easily provide both.
When it comes to maximum height, Dr. Kay’s adjustable bath chair beats competition hands-down with its incredible adjustable capacity (12.5″ to 18.5″.)
Oh! I almost forgot to state the obvious; it fits every tubs and shower whether small or larger. The anti-slip platform has a large base which gives the stool maximum stability.
In addition, the non-slip rubbers around the feet ensure that the stool stands firm on a slippery area. Unlike other baths/shower chairs, Dr. Kay’s heavy-duty anodized aluminum seat has hand-saving wing-tipped screws that require no tool.
It’s easy to install and flexible to place almost anywhere. Also, you can easily lift the chair with built-in side handles. Dr. Kay considered every way possible to make your life easier.
Tall or short, you can adjust the chair to the height that is convenient for you.
- Read Also: 30 Beautiful Shelf Designs for Living Room
5. The DMI Sliding Transfer Shower Chair
- Shower With Ease; This best selling tub and sliding shower bench makes transfers from wheelchairs or walkers to the bath or shower so much easier with its safe sliding design, minimizing physical strain on the user and caregiver. Ideal bath tub seat for elderly seniors, disabled, handicapped or post surgical
- Tool Free Design: Easy Install Assembly With Detailed Instructions. Free Standing Tub Shower Transfer Bench Does Not Require Any Permanent Mounting Hardware. Seat Can Be Configured With Right or Left Install
- Safe and Secure;This sliding bath transfer bench could be used for the elderly or disabled and offers integrated safety features including, rust resistant aluminum frame with blow molded seat with back rest, hook and loop safety belt, nylon strap locks hold seat in place, suction cup rubber anti slip feet, removable cut out for easy perineal access, and handle for extra stability while showering
- EASY TO USE: Simply position one end of the transfer chair inside the shower and the other side outside. With the help of a caregiver, have the person carefully sit on the seat and gently slide them over the lip of the tub and into the shower
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Overall Shower and Bathtub Safety Dimensions: 39 inches W x 18 inches D x 37 inches H Transfer Bench Shower Chair Adjustable Seat Height from Floor: 19 inches 23.5 inches Seat Dimensions: 19 inch W x 145 inches D Contains Latex Overall Weight: 145 pounds Weight Capacity: 400 pounds
This product has a heavy-duty non-slip aluminum body. It’s the best-selling sliding shower chair that has an adjustable plastic seat and cut out access holding.
If you use wheelchairs or crushes, you can easily transport yourself in and out of the tub or shower with a single slide at a time. Besides the chair minimizing physical strain; thus, making it the ideal bath chairs for you.
This sliding bath transfer bench is easy to install with detailed instructions. Also, installation is tool-free.
You have tons of safety features such as blow-molded seat/ backrest, rust-resistant aluminum frame design, suction cup rubber anti-slip feet, nylon strap locks hold the seat, handle for extra stability and removable cutout and more.
The DMI Sliding Transfer Bench fits most standard bathtubs/showers.
6. HydroGlyde Premium Heavy Duty Sliding Bathtub
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE sliding transfer bench, bath and shower chair. Effortless sliding for safe, easy transfers in and out of the tub or shower. Platinum Health products are used in thousands of hospitals, nursing homes and private homes by users who value quality, safety, convenience and comfort over price. Quick TOOLS-LESS assembly in less than 5 minutes.
- SEAT CUTOUT WITH INSERT. The commode opening allows for unobstructed access to the perineal area for easy and effective washing. A snap-in insert section is included that can be easily and quickly added and removed from the seat as desired. A mounting bracket keeps the insert section within arms reach. Safety belt included.
- INSTITUTIONAL QUALITY DESIGN/BUILD. The frame of the HydroGlyde is manufactured with lightweight yet robust aluminum components. It will never rust and the durable construction prevents any wobbling, shaking or tipping. 100% reversible. Overall Height (Floor to Top of Backrest): 35” highest/30” lowest, Overall Frame Length: 38”, Overall Frame Depth: 20” at highest; 22” at lowest, Height from Floor to Crossbar: 18.5” highest/14” lowest, Seat Dimensions: 13” x 16”, Seat to Top of Backrest: 12”
- PADDED ASSIST HANDLE helps users easily glide in and out of the shower or tub. The smooth gliding chair eliminates the dangerous need to shuffle across the bench like old style bath benches that can often lead to skin tears, knee and hip joint strain as well as falls. Note: OPTIONAL LEG EXTENSION KITS AND HORIZONTAL TRAVEL EXTENSION KITS ALSO AVAILABLE.
- HI CONTRAST COLOR FOR SAFETY. Our unique HI-VIEW BLUE color makes the key parts of the chair much easier to see by vision impaired and/or dementia afflicted users. Rather than blending in with the background like old-style white benches, the blue contrast color helps users distinguish the chair from its surroundings and significantly reduces slips, trips and falls- the leading cause of death by injury in people over 65.
The HydroGlyde ensures safe and easy transportation to and fro, with the help of its effortless sliding mechanism. It is made out of high-quality materials of robust aluminum components, yet lightweight. No matter the years, it will never rust!
The product is durable in construction and helps prevent shaking/tipping or any unsteady side-to-side motion. Moreover, this bath chair is 100% flexible and reversible.
Also, the seat has a snap-in insert section that can be removed or added to the seat if need be.
Never worry about technical installation. You can assemble the parts together without any too in 5 minutes.
In addition, the padded assist-handle helps gliding smooth. Unlike the old-style bath benches, HydroGlyde eliminates any danger of shuffling across the bench. You can smoothly glide without skin tears, hip and knee joint strain or fall.
Lastly, with the HI-contrast color feature, you can easily locate the exact spot the chair is. This feature is extremely helpful for those vision-impaired people.
7. EagleHealth Tub-Mount Swivel Sliding Bench 77762
- SAFETY FIRST: No need to fear slipping and falling! Strong heavy duty frame, textured seat to prevent slipping, patented locks at each end, anti-slip rubber tips and safety belt make this a safe and reliable tub bench bath chair.
- EASE & COMFORT: Seat swivels 360°, locks every 90° for additional cleaning. Slide smoothly in and out of the tub/shower with ease. No more scooting! Reduce the risk of skin tears and infections! Less aches and pains for caregivers. Reclaim independence with this easy-to-use bath bench and sliding shower chair.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Modern look. 20+ years of research & development invested in our line of innovative, multi-functioning bath products. Convenient tool-less assembly. Height adjustable to fit YOUR needs. Longer lengths and custom options available at our Amazon Storefront.
- Assemble to face either right or left. Base Length: 39.5"-40.5" (Reg). 400lbs capacity. Specs below. Longer Lengths Available: #77682 (Long) & #77692 (XLong). Optional Armrest: EagleHealth #75003
- Caution: This Hygiene Product is NON-RETURNABLE once opened. Please measure your tub and bathroom carefully.
Eagle health Swivel Sliding Bench 77762 reduces the risk factor for people with mobility challenges. The product provides a secure and comfortable bath with the help of a multi-functioning bench.
Stressless about falling, accidental slips. The Eagle health guarantees original swivel sliding transfer bench.
The comfortable back with a textured finish and molded plastic seat reduce body aches and strain. Moreover, the seat has drainage holes which is pretty much easier for cleaning and disinfecting.
Also, the entry side of bench clamps save space and fits perfectly in the most tub. You can as well assemble the bench to face either right or left, and still sit comfortably with the support of the side panel handlebar.
I highly recommend this heavy duty sliding bench anytime. It is made of aluminum, and rust-proof. Also, lightweight.
8. Moen DN7100 Home Care Premium Adjustable Shower Chair
- SAFETY FIRST: Bathroom accessories to lend a helping hand when you need it
- 15" to 21" adjustable height fits a variety of tub and shower styles
- 18" leg width
- Seat measures 19" wide x 17.7" deep
- Supports up to 400 lbs.
Moen DN7100 Home Care qualities are guaranteed to last a lifetime. Also, Moen sets a standard for exceptional innovative designs that are aesthetic and reliable.
Aside from that, Moen DN7100 shower chair combines style, functionality, and durability so you can be satisfied.
Moen has set an exciting record of meeting the American with Disabilities Act’s standards, in terms of comfort and safety for the impaired.
Thus, the Moen DN7100 is a multi-functional shower chair that is made of high-impact polypropylene, and a non-slip curved seat for better balance and comfort.
The legs are highly adjustable. Besides, the legs are of 6063 aluminum with rubber feet of 15-21-inches in height to match many tub/shower styles.
Lastly, this shower chair can support up to 400 pounds.
- Read Also: Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier Review
9. OasisSpace Shower Stool
- 【Secure, Easy to Use】Our Shower Bench is FDA cleared, the highest standard in medical shower stool; Tool-Free, Easy to assemble in 2 minutes
- 【6 Height Setting】Easily adjust the height of the shower stool to create a secure, customized experience. With a range of 14”-19”, the seat adjusts to fit for the elderly, seniors, adults, disabled, pregnant women
- 【Lightweight and Durable】Our Shower Chair is constructed with a corrosion-resistant aluminum frame and heavy duty, textured slightly for non-slip Plastic Seat, the lightweight shower stool frame supports up to 300 pounds.
- 【 Anti-skid, Non-slip】Angled legs provide exceptional stability for the shower chair. Each leg is also capped with anti-skid, non-slip rubber tips for added safety and security; prevent sliding
- 【 Free Gift Upgrade Shower Handle】A 12" Medical Grade Grab Bar is easy to install or remove from the tub or shower walls; Strong suction cup design works on any non-porous, flat surface, including tile, glass, acrylic and fiberglass. Supporting up to 250 pounds, perfect for the injured, elderly and toddlers, a highly appreciated bathing aid
This is a heavy-duty adjustable shower chair with added free grab bar. The free grab bar is an exceptional feature that is rarely found in other models.
Let me elaborate. First and foremost, installing or removing the grab bar from your bathroom walls is pretty much easy. The suction cup design works perfect on any fiberglass.
Secondly, the grab bar supports up to 250 pounds –best supports for the elderly and injured.
The shower bench is FDA cleared. It’s secure, comfortable, easy-to-use and the best in medical shower stool standard.
Also, installation is tool-free and can be easily assembled in 2 minutes. The 6 height setting makes the stool highly adjustable.
The angled legs offer stability for the shower chair. Besides the feet are also capped with anti-skid that helps prevent sliding, on the other hand, enhance safety.
- Read Also: How to Clean a Shower Using Vineger
What to Consider When Buying a Shower Chair for Handicapped
It’s essential to do a little research before purchasing for a bath chair. There are certain key component and features to look for when buying a bath chair for handicapped.
Without wasting time, we want to point out some of the essentials a good bath chair should have.
1. Weight Capacity
You are very much welcome to opt for a bath chair that supports Bariatric weight feature. However, these models might be expensive.
But you do not want a shower chair with less weight capacity. It’s unsafe! Even more dangerous compared to bathing without a shower bench.
I urge you should select a heavy-duty chair with more weight capacity. Read the capacity descriptions before purchase.
2. High in Safety and Comfort
The million-dollar question is what makes a shower chair safe and comfortable? And without these two benefits, the disabled will experience a terrible bath.
The essence of buying a bath chair is to help provide security and comfort support for those with limited mobility. Isn’t it?
For this reason, let’s take a look at the necessities a bath chair should have below:
- Legs made of molded plastic material or rust-resistant: This provides slip-resistant that grip firmly on any ground surface
- Adjustable Height: A good shower chair should give room for height adjustment. Consider opting a model you can enjoy customized height experience
- Compartments: It’s very crucial to choose a shower chair that gives room for toiletries storage. Moreover, it should be easier to reach without stretching, to avoid high chances of falling or slipping
- Seat and back support: The seat, armrest, and back should be padded, so you can relax comfortably. Also, the padding should be slip-resistant and molded polyurethane in nature –never absorbs water or slips
- Other accessories: Extra support you need to look out for are handles, grab bars and bath mats
- Read Also: Best Coffee Makers Under 100 Bucks
Bathroom Safety Tips for Seniors and Handicapped
I take it by now you have gotten your ideal shower chair for elderly. Meanwhile, in this section, we are going to talk about safety tips and other recommendations that are helpful for the bathroom. So pay attention.
1. Non-slip Bath Mats
For safety reasons, it’s crucial to have a non-slip bath mat inside the tub or shower. The non-slip bath mat helps give your feet traction on wet tub/shower.
This feature reduces any chance of trip, falls or slips. I recommend you use a microfiber mat like the ones here.
2. Grab Bar Installations
Grab bars serve as a guide that gets you in and out of the tub. If your tub or shower has grab bar, you can have a secure bath without any helping hands. Besides, you can hold onto the grab bar if you accidentally slip.
Please note, it’s not advisable to grab onto the toilet paper or towel rack –the bolts are not firm enough to withstand accidental grasp.
3. Weighted Shower Curtain
Another important tip to bear in mind is a weighted shower curtain. Often times, when we take our bath, water might splash outside of the bathtub, as a result of making the bathroom floor wet.
Again, the goal is to eliminate any agent of fall, slip or trip occurrence. So it is best to install a weighted shower curtain. Also, the curtain should be movable so it covers a lot of space to prevent water from reaching the round.
4. Put a night light
If you are impaired, you might get disoriented in the dark. Thus, it’s wise to use gentle LED night light to illuminate the bathroom. Besides, a night light enhances visual at night that helps prevent slipping and falling.
Watch this video for more bathroom safety tips for seniors:
Frequently asked questions about Bath Chairs for Seniors
1. How do you adjust a shower chair?
Press the spring button in a leg extension and simply slide the leg either up or down. However, you should adjusted legs should of equal height.
2. I’m not impaired, do I need a bathtub bench?
No, you don’t. However, if you have mobility issues or health is declining, you need a bath chair.
3. Should I opt for a bath chair with a padded or unpadded seat?
These two types of seat differ in terms of price and comfort. But if you are on a budget, you can settle for an unpadded bath chair.
On the other hand, a padded seat provides a higher level of comfort compared to an unpadded seat.