Nowadays, many families find it hard not to have pets at home. However, pets are a turn down for most people because of the allergies they suffer. We all know that breathing in fresh air is unnegotiable for anyone if you want to live healthily.
Therefore, if you’re going to live with these men’s best friends, you must be prepared. But you don’t have to throw your pets away because of allergies.
Nevertheless, you can still have your pets at home without suffering from allergies. Yes, that is true! With the best air purifier for pet allergies and asthma, you and your pet can enjoy the quality time together.
In this article, our goal is to show you the perfect air purifiers for asthma and pet allergies. In the end, you will also learn essential tips when buying a purifier as well as a few air purifier benefits. We have various purifiers in the market, and it can be confusing and daunting to pick from over a thousand of them.
However, we have narrowed these purifiers and highlighted those we feel are a good fit for your home and budget. These air purifiers are also suitable for people who have asthma or seasonal pet allergies.
Why You Need an Air Purifier for Pet Allergies & Asthma | Air Purifier Benefits
Are you still contemplating if you need an air purifier? Well, it may amaze you to know that over 50 million people suffer from pet allergies in the United States each year.
Aside from that, do you also know that about 65% of houses in the US own at least a pet?
Interestingly, your pets daily lose their fur, hair, and feathers. You can see these with your physical eyes, but they are not the main reasons for allergies. Your pet’s dander gets to the floor, which over time you will clean up. However, the dander is likely to get worse as the pet gets older.
They rapidly shed their fur and hair more often. Then you will begin to notice increase symptoms of pet allergies. Moreover, this situation is fixable without spending money on expensive solutions. As a pet owner, you must find a good air purifier for pet allergies and asthma to deal with this situation ASAP.
Best Air Purifier for Pet Allergies and Asthma
The table below gives you a rundown of the best air purifiers for your pets. The table also looked at the coverage square feet of each air purifier, its preview, and filter. Furthermore, go through the list including what we like and what we don’t like about each purifier before picking one for your home.
RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier – Stylish, Efficient and Energy Star (SPA-780A, Black, Toxin Absorber)
Without further ado, let us start with the review. Here is a brief write-up to enable you to make the right decision when buying an air purifier for asthma and pet allergies. Most importantly, the purifiers are not listed in any particular order.
Look through the various features, pros, and cons before deciding on the particular one to buy.
1. Blueair Classic 405 Air Purifier, True HEPA Performance by HEPASilent Filtration for Allergen, Dust, Mold Reduction, Asthma and COPD Relief
The Blueair Classic 405 air purifier is popular in the market and endorsed by the Swedish Asthma and Allergy Association. Although it does not have the integrated smart sensor; however, it does perform optimally. You can go for the Blueair Classic 480i, which has the same specs as the 405 but comes with an integrated smart sensor.
The Blueair Classic 405 comes with different air filters to choose. You can select the SmokeStop filter or the particle filter. The Particle filter has the tendency of capturing about 99.97% of pollutants like a pet, mold spores, dander, viruses, pollen, dust, and bacteria.
Alternatively, you can pay extra fee for the SmokeStop filter, which has activated carbon filter as an additional layer to the particle filter.
To combat odors and gases, this unique air purifier uses the SmokeStop filter. This filter is effective in preventing mold growth and bacteria, which are the primary causes of asthma and allergies.
Blueair uses the HEPASilent technology to operate in silent mode, which is lower than that of a rustling leaves. Remarkably, the Blueair 405 air purifier is controlled using Alexa.
- Voice control functionality
- High-performance rate
- Five years warranty
- Comes with HEPASilent feature
- Not suitable for smaller areas
- No integrated smart sensor
2. Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover, 465 sq. Ft, HPA300 Our Top Pick!
If you have a room with up to 465 sq. ft in size than the Honeywell True HEPA Allergen Remover is one of the best air purifiers for pet allergies and asthma. It comes with four air-cleaning levels – Turbo, Allergen, General Clean, and Germ. Unlike most purifier, this air purifier comes with an automatic feature that allows it to turn off depending on the time you set.
When operated on its lower levels, it is hard to notice any background noise. Nevertheless, the turbo level is quite noisy; however, if you decide to use other air-cleaning levels, this unit is perfect as it circulates air perfectly.
In terms of performance, it never disappoints as it clears dander, pollens, and debris. Similar to other air purifiers, it has filters but circulates air at a rate of 5X in an hour primarily when used in the right room size.
It is effortless to maintain and requires changing of the pre-filter every three months. It also has a filter light that reminds you when you need to change the filter.
- Performs optimally
- Four air-cleaning levels – Germ, general clean, allergen, and turbo
- Comes with filter
- No auto mode
- Noisy for its turbo mode
- Quite expensive
3. GermGuardian AC5250PT 3n1 True HEPA Filter Air Purifier for Home, UVC, Large Room Air Purifier for Allergies and Pets
If you suffer from any pet allergies, then this 3-in-1 air purifier does the magic. The True HEPA captures about 99.97% of allergens including pollen, dust mites, and pet dander.
Additionally, it has Pet Pure, which is an antimicrobial agent included in the filter to stop the growth of mildew, mold, and odor-causing bacteria. It is possible to use it for both medium and large rooms because of its lightweight nature.
It comes with an easy to use digital display panel that includes a filter change indicator, UV-C control, and 8-hour timer. Remarkably, it has5 different speed mode for you to deal with pet allergies. Apart from being a filter, the charcoal filter captures the smell whereas the UV-C light kills germs.
- Great performance
- True HEPA Filter combined with UV-C Light Filter
- Warranty for five years
- Requires frequent cleaning
- Controls are hard to see
- Settings return to default mode
4. RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier – Stylish, Efficient and Energy Star (SPA-780A, Black, Toxin Absorber)
If you want a better air quality especially in a larger room, you need an air purifier with high capacity like the Rabbit Air MinusA2. Although many air purifier for pet allergies and asthma requires you buying multiple units, it is different for this unit as it covers up to 815 square feet.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 is one of the perfect air purifiers for pet allergies and asthma in our list because of the slim dimension that makes it possible to position it on the wall to save space on the floor.
It also has a 6-stage process that produces better and fresher air. It has three different filters – pre-filter, medium filter to trap larger particles and the special HEPA filter to increase efficiency and reduce buildup.
This unit is useful in relieving allergies and purifying the air considering the customizable filters, which purifies smoke. It is one of the higher-end choice purifiers to find with a higher capacity to clean larger rooms.
- Attractive design
- Excellent performance
- High-end features
- Outstanding filtration process
- Low CADR rating
5. Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier, HEPA Air Cleaner, AP51030K
Finally on our list is this air purifier that has the capacity of filtering the air at a rate of 4.8 times each hour. This air purifier is among the most natural air purifier in the market that comes with electronic controls and works with True HEPA.
The fan has four different speed levels – Low, Medium, High, and Turbo. Additionally, it has the Whispure Quiet system, which is a sleep mode for the purifier.
In terms of performance, the air purifier does not disappoint. For effective result, it is advisable to replace the HEPA filters every 12 months whereas the Active Carbon Filters require changing every three months. If you cannot keep up with the days to change the filter, the indicator light on the top informs you when the filter is due for replacement.
- Top-notch performance
- 4-speed mode
- Five years limited warranty
- Reset buttons malfunctions
- Overheating when using the medium or high fan speed mode
Buying a Good Air Purifier For Pet Allergies And Asthma | What to Consider
It can be challenging to pick the particular air purifier considering the number of air purifiers in the market. It is a daunting task; however, we have outlined essential things to consider when buying an air purifier for asthma.
1. True HEPA Air Filtration – Before buying an air purifier, ensure it has a “True HEPA air filter” with certification from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America because it will filter about 99.97% of air contaminants. Additionally, the HEPA filter collects as low as 0.3 microns air particles while capturing bacteria, microscopic viruses, pet dander, and dust.
2. Ozone Emission – Avoid air purifiers that emit ozone because of the danger it poses lung irritation and respiratory problems. Although some purifiers that emit ozone are safe within certain governmental regulation levels; however, it is better to stay off them.
3. Room size, noise, and budget –Now you know that the first thing to check is the True HEPA air filter, the next important thing to consider apart from the ozone emission is the noise, budget, and room size. Factors such as budget, noise, and room size will depend on what you want and how comfortable you want to be. Put in mind that the more advanced feature the unit has, the higher the price.
4. Activated Carbon Filter – This is important if your pet contaminates the air in your home with musty smells. Air purifiers with activated carbon filter help freshen your home.
5. Special Features –Some air purifiers come with a programmable timer, which allows you to schedule when the purifier starts. The remote control can come handy for adjusting various settings such as fan speed and timer setting
Besides these, there are other essential features to consider before buying any particular purifier. These include:
- Display lights on/off
- Remote control
- Ultraviolet bulb
- Automatic operation mode
- Electronic filter monitors
- Off Timer
Getting the best air purifier for pet allergies and asthma for your home usage should not be like fighting “World War IV.” You can narrow down the basic features you want, as that will help you find the best one that suits your need. Air purifiers for pets ensure fresh, better, and sterilized air for you and your pet.
Air purifiers are designed to remove pet odors and pet dander. Furthermore, they remove allergy aggravators and keeping your home fresh and clean.
Before you are tempted to buy a low-budget air purifier for pets allergies and asthma, it is essential to consider if they will perform optimally as those listed in this review.